The origins of the Real Estate Institute of New Zealand go back to the local associations of land agents (as real estate agents were called in those days) operating in major centres of population in the early 1900s. Even earlier than that were “agents” representing the British Government that formalised land acquisitions by the Crown; this was followed by agents of the colonial land settlement companies involved in property transactions leading up to the start of organised European settlement of New Zealand in the 1840s.
In the early 1900s, representatives of some of those collectives of private enterprise land agents began to look at the larger picture, no doubt stimulated by the passing of new legislation, the Land Agents Act 1912 – which came into effect on January 1, 1913. After meetings of representatives of the Auckland, Waikato and Wellington associations in Wellington in 1914-15, the Dominion Estate Agents and Land Auctioneers Association was formed in Wellington on July 22, 1915. That body eventually became the Real Estate Institute of New Zealand (REINZ).
In 2008, the Real Estate Agents Act 2008 created a new government body - The Real Estate Agents Authority (REAA) – to take over the licensing and disciplinary functions of the Institute. As a result, the institute became a voluntary member organisation and residential property managers became deregulated. The Real Estate Institute created a new board and structure with which to move forward including greatly reduced staff. This necessitated a move from 202 Parnell Road premises and the building was sold in April 2013.
To download the full REINZ history, click the image on the right side of the page
Snapshots in Time
Christine Barfoot was one of the first women to become a qualified real estate agent, in 1927. Female real estate agents were a small minority until the 1970s and 1980s, when their numbers began to grow.
Delegates to the 1928 REINZ conference pose for an official photograph.
Gill Bros Auction Mart, Hastings, destroyed by earthquake 3rd February 1931 in which Mr T H Gill, past-president, REINZ, lost his life in a gallant attempt to rescue an employee.
Staff of an all-women branch of Beltons real estate agency stand outside their Auckland office in the early 1970s. The first all-women real estate agency started in Wellington in 1972 and its staff were known as the “Belton belles.”
A series of promotional ads for REINZ and its membership, fronted by TV personality Dr Brian Edwards, ran on national television in the mid-1980s. Here one of the advertisements is being filmed.
The national headquarters at 202 Parnell Rd was officially opened by the Minister of Housing, Helen Clark (years later to become Prime Minister) on December 4, 1987.